Module 1 Basketball
A lot of people treat skydiving （跳伞） as a sport just for fun. Can you imagine why someone is brave and crazy enough to do this？
Skydiving is a sport that can be extremely exciting. However， each dive is marked with potential danger that makes this sport more challenging and fascinating than any other sport. Bear in mind that skydiving is an extreme sport and it is not for everyone. If you are afraid of height， then forget skydiving and try something else.
When a skydiver first jumps out of the plane， he will experience a feeling of downward falling.The feeling will continue until he reaches the terminal （终极的） speed which is around 120 mph.Generally this feeling will disappear because the diver is no longer increasing in speed. Most skydivers make their first jump with an experienced and trained instructor.
Taking skydiving is like flying. Some people are fascinated with the science of skydiving that enables them to actually control their movement while falling towards earth at speeds up to 120 mph， and then gracefully float onto the ground like a butterfly. Skydiving can be thrilling and give you a sense of excitement like no other sport. People may get obsessed to the excitement after taking that first step out of the plane and into the air.
Once you have had the experience of flying through the clouds and seeing the whole views of the landscape far below， you will never want to stop skydiving. People who skydive often speak of the beauty and the feeling of floating through the air and clouds. Skydiving is an experience that you can share with friends and family.
1. What does Paragraph 2 mainly tell us about skydiving？
A. It is thrilling. B. It should be avoided.
C. It has potential danger. D. It is exciting.
2. When reaching the terminal speed， a skydiver feels _____ .
A. no downward falling B. himself falling faster and faster
C. extremely afraid D. as if he were flying like a butterfly
3. What does the underlined part “get obsessed to” in Paragraph 4 probably mean？
A. Become addicted to. B. Become surprised at.
C. Become bored with. D. Become disappointed at.
4. What does the text mainly talk about？
A. The skills of skydiving. B. The meaning of skydiving.
C. The safety measures in skydiving. D. The reason why people like skydiving.
Swimming is a fitness sport suitable for both the young and the old. Thanks to the indoor swimming pools， swimming is no longer just a summer activity. But if you bring small kids to the swimming pool， you have to take a few safety measures. 1 Do remember these tips and drowning is always preventable.
First of all， you should keep a close watch when small kids are swimming. A small child can drown in as little as a few inches （英寸） of water. Many people believe that they will hear a splashing sound （拍水聲） or a cry for help. 2
In addition， children should be told to strictly follow the rules posted at public pools. Many kids feel excited near the swimming area and they happily run and jump with joy. But its always wet and slippery around the pool. 3 Therefore， they should not be allowed to run in any situation.
4 Kids can start swimming lessons at around four years old. So send the child for swimming lessons before taking him or her for a swim. Even if the child knows swimming， a very young child should be kept within an arms length.
Safety equipment should be available in a visible spot nearby. If you are in a larger pool， a rescue pole is also a good thing to have on hand. 5 You should only use flotation devices labeled “Coast Guard Approved”.
A. But most of the time there is no sound at all.
B. Never rely on floaters， water wings or inner tubes.
C. The area around the pool should be well cleaned after each use.
D. Keep an eye on kids if theyre swimming in the deep water area.
E. Kids can easily fall down if they dont walk gently and carefully.
F. Here are some tips for keeping small kids safe in a swimming pool.
G. Children should be allowed to enter the pool only if they have learned swimming.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
If you asked high school girls to name their favorite sports， most would probably say basketball or volleyball. I happened to be one of the few girls who would 1 ： surfing. But isnt that a boy thing？ Some people may 2 . Most certainly not.
I started surfing about five years ago and fell in love with the 3 on the very first day. Riding that first 4 was the best feeling I had ever experienced.
When I try to 5 surfing with other things， I find it very difficult because， in my 6 ， theres nothing like it. It involves body， 7 ， and soul. Theres sand between my toes and cool salt water all 8 us. The feeling I get when Im surfing across that 9 ， becoming one with the 10 ， is like Im weightless.
The one thing I can 11 from surfing and not any other sport is endless challenge. You can never be the “best surfer” because the ocean 12 an uncountable variety of waves that nobody can ever master. The variations of surfing 13 are wonderful. Some surfers are 14 and flowing; others are very aggressive and sharp. All of these things attract me to surfing and make it 15 from any other sport.
Ive 16 to tell every girl I know to do something that people dont think girls can do. Its part of being human to advance to new 17 ， so shouldnt it be expected that girls should step up and start 18 the limits of things boys and men used to dominate？
Therere women 19 side by side with the President of our country， so why not be side by side with the boys on the football team or out in the water surfing？ Give girls a chance to 20 ， and they will.
1. A. tell B. answer C. know D. realize
2. A. wonder B. understand C. reply D. believe
3. A. game B. play C. idea D. sport
4. A. wave B. storm C. sail D. boat
5. A. combine B. connect C. compare D. enjoy
6. A. work B. study C. holiday D. life
7. A. mind B. effort C. health D. time
8. A. along B. above C. around D. by
9. A. beach B. water C. board D. lake
10. A. sky B. world C. earth D. ocean
11. A. take B. get C. make D. keep
12. A. catches B. includes C. offers D. collects
13. A. habits B. behaviors C. styles D. movements
14. A. free B. great C. hard D. lucky
15. A. easy B. usual C. far D. different
16. A. chosen B. tried C. learned D. promised
17. A. levels B. points C. steps D. parts
18. A. reaching B. accepting C. pushing D. setting
19. A. sitting B. walking C. fighting D. working
20. A. think B. succeed C. perform D. compete
In addition to the official basketball world， various other types of basketball are practised around the world.
Wheelchair Basketball was invented in 1946 by former American basketball players， who， after wartime injury， wanted once again to experience the excitement of a highly athletic sport within a team environment. It is now played in more than 80 countries by over 25，000 men， women and children with a physical disability which prevents them from playing competitive basketball on their feet.
Beach Basketball is an exciting， non-stop action game played in the sand. The game was born more than four decades ago on the physical education fields of Gulf Shores School. This kind of basketball， invented by Philip Bryant， has grown from an extremely effective skill improvement game， to a very popular， widespread competitive sport.
Basketball for the deaf men and women has been played since the early 1920s. The game today has exactly the same rules as FIBA （Fédération Internationale de Basketball）.
Bankshot is a new game of skill and challenge that is often described as “mini golf， but with a basketball”. Bankshot is the only sports system that allows the able-bodied and athletes with a disability to play together at the same time. This game involves no running， jumping， or body contact and relies on the shooting skill.
1. What kind of basketball has the longest history？
A. Bankshot Basketball. B. Deaf Basketball.
C. Wheelchair Basketball. D. Beach Basketball.
2. If you want to play basketball in the sand， you can visit _____ .
A. http：//www.iwbf.org B. http：//www.beachbasketball.com
C. http：//www.dibf.org D. http：//www.bankshot.com
3. What kind of basketball allows both normal and disabled players to play together？
A. Deaf Basketball B. Beach Basketball.
C. Bankshot Basketball. D. Wheelchair Basketball.
Sports can help you keep fit and get in touch with nature. However， whether you are on the mountains， in the waves， or on the grassland， you should be aware that your choice of sport might have great influence on the environment.
Some sports are resource-hungry. Golf， as you may know， eats up not only large areas of countryside， but also tons of water. Besides， all sorts of chemicals and huge amounts of energy are used to keep its courses （高爾夫球场） in good condition. This causes major environmental effects. For example， in the dry regions of Portugal and Spain， golf is often held responsible for serious water shortages in some local areas.
In fact， there are many environment-friendly sports. Power walking is one of them that you could take up today. You dont need any special equipment except a pair of good shoes， and you dont have to worry about resources and your purse. Simple and free， power walking can also keep you fit. If you can walk regularly， it will be good for your heart and bones. Experts say that 20 minutes of power walking daily can make you feel less anxious， sleep well and control your weight better.
Whatever sport you take up， you can make it greener by using environment-friendly equipment and buying products made from recycled materials. But the final goal should be “green gyms”. They are better replacements for traditional health clubs and modern sports centers. Members of green gyms play sports outdoors， in the countryside or other open spaces. There is no special requirement for you to start your membership. And best of all， its free.
4. What can we learn about golf from the text？
A. People in Spain prefer it to other sports.
B. It causes water shortages around the world.
C. It pollutes the earth with chemicals and waste.
D. It needs water and energy to keep its courses green.
5. What does the author think of power walking？
A. It wastes money. B. Its an indoor sport.
C. Its environmentally friendly. D. It can help you lose weight quicky.
6. What is the author most probably in favor of？
A. Cycling around a lake. B. Motor-racing in the desert.
C. Playing basketball in a gym. D. Swimming in a sports center.
7. What is the authors purpose in writing the text？
A. To show us the function of major sports.
B. To encourage us to go in for green sports.
C. To discuss the major influence of popular sports.
D. To introduce different types of environment friendly sports.
Here are two examples of people who took everyday problems and turned them around through laughter and play.
Roy， a semi-retired businessman， was 1 to finally have time to play golf， his favorite sport. But the more he played， the less he 2 himself. Although his game had improved dramatically， he got 3 with himself over every mistake. Roy 4 realized that his golfing friends 5 his attitude， so he stopped playing with people who took the game too 6 . When he played with friends who focused more on having fun than on their 7 ， he was less critical of himself. Now golfing was as 8 as Roy hoped it would be. He scored better without working harder. He was getting more active 9 from his companions and the game 10 to other parts of his life， including his work.
Jane worked at home 11 greeting cards， a job she used to love， but now she felt it had become 12 . Two little girls who loved to draw and 13 lived next door. Eventually， Jane invited the girls in to play with all the art things she had. At first， she just 14 ， but in time she joined in. Laughing， coloring， and playing with the little girls 15 Janes life. Not only did playing with them end her 16 and mild boredom， but also it 17 her imagination and helped her with works.
As laughter， humor and play become part of your life， so new 18 for playing with friends， co-workers， acquaintances and loved ones will occur to you 19 . Humor takes you to a higher place where you can view the world from a more 20 ， positive， creative， joyful and balanced perspective （視角） .
1. A. excited B. disappointed C. surprised D. lucky
2. A. encouraged B. enjoyed C. praised D. expressed
3. A. bored B. satisfied C. careful D. angry
4. A. never B. almost C. similarly D. wisely
5. A. objected B. supported C. affected D. understood
6. A. seriously B. coldly C. carelessly D. lightly
7. A. movement B. scores C. appearances D. study
8. A. challenging B. simple C. pleasant D. hard
9. A. appreciation B. application C. influence D. comment
10. A. adapted B. stuck C. spread D. kept
11. A. designing B. offering C. selling D. writing
12. A. valuable B. routine C. interesting D. favorite
13. A. paint B. shop C. drink D. skate
14. A. stood B. rested C. watched D. waited
15. A. accelerated B. destroyed C. troubled D. changed
16. A. ability B. loneliness C. illness D. job
17. A. called B. obtained C. deserved D. fired
18. A. tasks B. discoveries C. rules D. concerns
19. A. skillfully B. publicly C. fluently D. daily
20. A. relaxed B. formal C. standard D. normal
The latest sports craze is not even a sport. According to an article， “e-sports” are attracting a large number of audience.
In e-sports， players and teams compete in popular video computer games such as Dota 2 and Ovenwatch. Fans fill arenas （竞技场） to watch the action live on huge television screens.
The games have gone way past kids playing against each other while sitting on a sofa at home. The International， a major competition for players of Dota 2， awarded $24 million in prizes， with the winner taking home almost $11 million. A recent e-sports competition attracted more than 80，000 fans to the Olympic Stadium in Beijing， China.
I have to admit that I am not a big fan of computer games. I know that some games can be educational， but I think too many kids spend too much time sitting in front of a screen shooting space aliens. I think it would be better if kids spent more time reading or playing real sports such as basketball， baseball and soccer.
And please dont tell me that competitive gaming is real sport because it requires hand-eye coordination. According to my American Heritage Dictionary， a sport is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill”. I dont think anyone works up much of a sweat playing video games.
Too often， regular sports send kids a kind of message. Competition starts early， when lots of kids are not ready for the ups and downs of games. Tryouts and travel teams come next， giving too many kids the message they are “not good” at sports. So lots of kids quit sports and start playing more video games.
Maybe everyone in youth sports， including coaches， parents and kids， should think more about the advantages of real sports.
1. What are “e-sports” according to the text？
A. The latest sports in the Olympic Games. B. Video computer game competitions.
C. Sports events on television screens. D. Easy sports games for kids.
2. What is the authors idea about “e-sports” according to Paragraph 4？
A. They are not instructive. B. They should be banned in school.
C. They need too much time and money. D. They have some negative influence on children.
3. What does the underlined word “exertion” in Paragraph 5 probably mean？
A. Growth. B. Fitness. C. Effort. D. Energy.
4. What is the authors purpose in writing the text？
A. To introduce a new kind of sport.
B. To introduce a competition held in Beijing.
C. To explain the importance of playing sports.
D. To call on people to pay more attention to traditional sports.
A farm in England has started to conduct cow yoga （瑜伽） classes to help improve fitness， 1 might seem strange to you.
The class， 2 （hold） on the farm， gives people a chance to enjoy exercising 3 （outdoor） with cows. Animals 4 （think） to be able to help lower the level of stress.
The cows live at Paradise Farm in Lancashire. They also get special 5 （treat）. When theyre not helping during a yoga class， the cows are kept entertained with music by 6 （artist） from Mozart to Madonna. The cows even get to rest on individual mattresses （床墊）.
7 recent study showed that UK adults spent 40% of their hours awake 8 （watch） television. Furthermore， the amount of physical activity people took part 9 between March and June during the pandemic （大流行病） dropped by over a quarter.
Azhar Zoug， managing director at Lancashire Farm Dairies， said， “Yoga is the perfect activity to get the public moving. 10 （good） of all， its a great way to enjoy the countryside and walk with these wonderful animals.”
1. ____________ 2. ____________ 3. ____________ 4. ____________ 5. ____________
6. ____________ 7. ____________ 8. ____________ 9. ____________ 10. ____________
The old saying “The early bird catches the worm.” show us the importance of planning， working hard and trying constant. To achieve outstanding results， most people must plan ahead and work hard to overcome all kind of difficulties.
That has been my own experience， either. When I first started high school， I seldom passed my exams， so I never prepared well. Later， my teacher， Mrs Rumbold， advised me plan everything in the advance. He asked me to study hard as well. After a year of putting her advice onto practice， I can now easily pass all my exams. There are no shortcuts to succeed.
Our bodies can be younger or older than our actual age 1 （depend） upon diet， lifestyle choices and physical activity. This is called biological （生理的） age， 2 could be different from the age on your drivers license， which 3 （call） chronological （时间的） age. A recent study of over 900 adults who were tracked for 12 years， from ages 26—38， 4 （show） that people who were aging faster， meaning that their biological age was higher than 5 chronological age， were not as healthy or 6 （physical） fit. This group was also more likely 7 （have） cognitive decline （认知衰退） and was at a 8 （great） risk for age-related health conditions.
A growing body of research proves that the keys to aging successfully are a 9 （combine） of exercising regularly， keeping busy with life， and having a healthy diet with nutritious foods. These three key elements could contribute 10 aging gracefully， and successfully， too.
1. ____________ 2. ____________ 3. ____________ 4. ____________ 5. ____________
6. ____________ 7. ____________ 8. ____________ 9. ____________ 10. ____________
There will be a China International Tai Chi Performance Competition in our city.
Many international sports were promoted by the British who take their leisure time very seriously. There is widespread participation in sport in Britain.
1. Football （or “soccer” as it is colloquially called）， the most popular sport in England as well as in Europe， has its traditional home in England where it was developed in the 19th century.
2. The game “Rugby” was invented at Rugby School in Warwich shire in the early 19th century.
3. Cricket， the most typical English sports， has been in existence since the 16th century， whose international level is 5-day Cornhill Test Matches.
4. Although tennis has been played for centuries， the modern game originated in England in the late 19th century. The main tournament is the annual Wimbledon fortnight， one of the four tennis “Grand Slam” tournaments.
5. There is a considerable participation of athletics in Britain. For example， the London Marathon， which takes place every spring.
6. The home of golf is Scotland where the game has been played since the 17th century and naturally the oldest golf club in the world is there： The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers. The Walker Cup for amateurs and the Ryder Cup for professionals.